Saturday, September 12, 2009

Prop 8

"First they came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up, because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up, because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me."

Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)





I listen to the Good Atheist podcast often, and prop 8 and gay marriage has been a regular topic in the past. Why? Because atheists and gays have so much in common. We have a similar enemy most of the time (religious folks), we have a hard time coming out to family and friends, and we're constantly fighting to gain some recognition as a legitimate community and not some fly-by-night trend.


Gays can now legally marry in Vermont. But not in California. How sad that a state that claims to be so relaxed and kicked-back is so uptight about something as silly as love. Mormons For 8 claims that it has 770,000+ members currently, and only 2% live in the state of California.

Only 2%? Then how the hell did we lose by such a small amount?

Mormons for 8 claims their strategy of grass-roots movement and advertising in a way that made their argument stronger is what won. And they're probably right. After the election, I found out my insanely strange Catholic mother and step-father voted yes on 8. I refused to speak to her for a week but eventually forgave her.

My agnostic father on the other hand was an easy push to vote No on 8. I reminded him of the following points and he agreed that even though he is uncomfortable with the idea of homosexuality, he couldn't deny humans their rights when our own ancestors had to deal with so many problems.


The 14th amendment: declares those born into citizenship or naturalized as a US citizen can not have laws abridging their priveleges or immunities.

Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka 1954: overturned Plessy v Ferguson stating that separate but equal was unconstitutional.

Loving v Virginia 1967: overturned Pace v. Alabama allowing interracial couples to marry.


Three arguments is all it took to sway the vote of an agnostic. These same three arguments mean nothing to a hard-core catholic mother though. Although she divorced, she knows she can never take communion again and confesses that she is trying to be a good person against it all.

We lost because we couldn't argue against the irrational. The same reason most atheists lose arguments. We can't reason with those who are afraid of offending an all-powerful being. We have to work together or we'll all lose.

So as an atheist, I stand side by side with the gay community. I'm willing to speak on their behalf and willing to fight. I will not be silent for fear of being alone when they come for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment