Thursday, August 19, 2010

Atheists will be hated by families of fallen heroes

This blog is about an article on CNN's website. Atheists win at removing road side crosses

CNN reports that the atheists have won a battle against unconstitutional favoritism of religion. Specifically, Christian crosses on the roadside that are meant to honor fallen heroes.

Do I know these heroes? No.
Did they ever save my life specifically? No.
Do I owe them? Yes.

Every day, hard working men and women don their gear to protect us on the streets. Police officers who perform traffic stops are heroes. They stop the drunk drivers, reckless drivers, and speedsters who don't stop to think about the lives they may take all because they were more concerned about getting somewhere. Is a human life really worth making it to work on time? You may think so at the time you're running that red light, but if you caused an accident that kills someone, you may think differently after wards.

But for the cops who don't make it home, we owe a debt of gratitude. We should seriously stop and think about the danger they face just trying to earn a living, support their loved ones, and make the world a little bit safer. That's why I support any ways their families need to remember them by. If a family is so emotionally damaged by their loss, they deserve what ever they need to help the healing process. Some of them need their religious beliefs and cling to them like a crutch.

So what?

It doesn't bother me. Two sticks crossed together on a roadside as a memorial does not bother me, hurt me, offend me, or make me upset at the government. Tax payer money is being spent to help remember a fallen hero, and as an atheist, I'm not upset.

Now... if the government refused to recognize the wishes of a family who lost an atheist police officer, or a pagan/Jewish/skeptical/non-believing officer with a roadside symbol that helped them. Then I'd be upset. That's not the case here. Instead, atheists have won a legal case saying the crosses have to come down.

Did you hear that?

We won. We won the right to harm families who are already suffering.

How is that winning?

No comments:

Post a Comment